Articles

10/05/08 (B447) Communiqué en Anglais du SOCEPP sur les violences commises dans les territoires frontaliers entre l’Ethiopie et le Soudan, en particulier contre des fermiers éthiopiens, en proie aux soldats soudanais qui ont franchi la frontière.

MAY 10/2008

EPRDF ALLOWS SUDAN TO VIOLATE RIGHTS OF ETHIOPIANS

It is now confirmed that the EPRDF has ceded Ethiopian territory to the Sudan and Sudan has subsequently occupied Ethiopian land and violated the rights of Ethiopian farmers especially in the border regions of Gondar.

Sudanese soldiers occupying Ethiopian land have abducted more than 34 Ethiopians from several farms and taken them to the Sudan where they are still being held. These same soldiers have burnt dozens of huts and destroyed farm property.

The regime in Addis Ababa, a human rights violator by its own right, has chosen to remain silent on the aggression and human rights violation. The close political relation between the Khartoum and Addis Ababa regimes has almost always worked against the human rights of Ethiopians. Sudan has deported,since 1991, dozens of Ethiopian refugees of whom many,like Azanaw Demile and Atanaw Wassie, have disappeared without a trace in the dungeons of the Meles Zenawi regime.

The hardship pf Ethiopian refugees in the Sudan knows no limit and the situation has continued to worsen. The ongoing handing over of Ethiopian territory to the Sudan is liable to be resisted by Ethiopians and it can be said safely that Sudanese army occupation of the land does not augur well in terms of human rights and the respect of the rule of law.

SOCEPP calls for the immediate withdrawl of the Sudanese army from Ethiopian land and the unconditional release of the Ethiopian farmers abducted by Sudanese soldiers and taken to the Sudan. International pressure should be strongly put on the Sudanese government to respect the rights of Ethiopian refugees.  

INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS INJUSTICE EVERYWHERE
SOCEPP, POSTFACH 51213, BERLIN 13372,GERMANY
E MAIL: SOCEPP @AOL.COM,
WEB SITE: WWW.SOCEPP.DE

10/05/08 (B447) GAROWE ONLINE : les éthiopiens remettent « en selle » un ancien chef de guerre – Ethiopia troops return warlord to power in Somalia region (En Anglais – Info lecteur)

BELETWEIN, Somalia May 9 (Garowe Online) – A notorious warlord in central Somalia has returned to his former seat of power at a provincial capital after being forced to flee in April by Islamist guerrillas.

Yusuf Daboged, the former governor of Hiran region, told reporters by telephone that he is the « legitimate » governor of Hiran.

Mr. Daboged said he is in the outskirts of Beletwein, the capital of Hiran, although hundreds of Ethiopian soldiers backed by armored trucks entered the town early Friday for the first time in weeks.

The former governor appealed to the residents of Hiran to remain calm and to cooperate with authorities in improving local security.

Beletwein residents said Ethiopian troops moved into the interior of the city and immediately took positions at all important government buildings, including the State House and police stations.

Other soldiers were seen standing guard along the town’s main roads.

Last week, Somali Prime Minister Nur « Adde » Hassan Hussein issued a decree replacing former Hiran Gov. Daboged with a new regional administration led by Mohamed Ahmed Mohamed.

But many officials of the new Hiran regional authority have refused to accept their posts, citing insecurity and lack of resources. [ Full story]

It is not clear why the Ethiopian army has returned Mr. Daboged to Beletwein, especially in light of the Prime Minister’s decree.

Ethiopian troops backing the Somali transitional government invaded Somalia in December 2006 to dislodge an Islamist militia that was ruling the capital Mogadishu at the time.

The Islamists then withdrew and began a costly insurgency targeting Somali and Ethiopian troops and allies, with thousands of civilians killed in the crossfire.

10/05/08 (B447) JDD : Somalie: Les islamistes s’emparent d’un camp. Une ombre sur la tenue de discussions à Djibouti ?

Des rebelles islamistes se sont brièvement emparés jeudi soir d’une importante caserne de la police au coeur de Mogadiscio, ont annoncé des habitants de la capitale somalienne.

Un porte-parole des islamistes, Adbullahi Issa Adow, a déclaré que les miliciens avaient tué huit policiers et enregistré deux pertes dans leur camp.

Cette attaque, dans un quartier sous haute surveillance proche du port et de l’aérodrome de la capitale, fait suite à une recrudescence des combats entre les islamistes et les troupes gouvernementames soutenues par leurs alliés éthiopiens.

Ces affrontements ont fait une vingtaine de morts.

La montée des violences jette une ombre sur les pourparlers de paix entre le gouvernement provisoire somalien et les opposants en exil prévus à partir de lundi à Djibouti sous l’égide des Nations unies.

10/05/08 (B447) LE MONDE / Somalie: libération d’un patron de presse arrêté vendredi

Le patron d’un groupe de médias audiovisuels arrêté vendredi pour incitation à la violence par les autorités de la région semi-autonome du Puntland (nord-est de la Somalie) a annoncé samedi avoir été libéré dans la nuit, sans qu’aucune charge ne pèse contre lui.

« J’ai recouvré ma liberté. Les responsables policiers m’ont dit qu’ils étaient mécontents d’un reportage sur des violences qui ont eu lieu jeudi soir à Bosasso », la capitale économique du Puntland, a déclaré Mowlid Haji Abdi par téléphone à l’AFP.

« Je ne pense pas que nous ayons diffusé de fausses nouvelles », a-t-il ajouté, affirmant que les autorités du Puntland avaient violé la liberté d’expression en l’arrêtant.

La police avait fait irruption vendredi dans les locaux de la Somalia Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) à Bosasso et avait arrêté son directeur, Mowlid Haji Abdi.

Un responsable du Puntland avait expliqué à l’AFP que l’arrestation de M. Abdi était liée à la diffusion de programmes qui alimentent selon lui l’instabilité dans cette région.

Le Puntland a été fondé en juillet 1998 par Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, devenu depuis président des institutions de transition somaliennes.

La Somalie, en guerre civile depuis 1991, a été en 2007 le second pays après l’Irak le plus dangereux pour les journalistes, selon le Comité de protection des journalistes (CPJ).

10/05/08 (B447) Press TV / Somalie : les combats violents continuent – Heavy fighting continues in Somalia (en Anglais – Info lecteur)

Heavy fighting breaks out again in Somali capital, killing seven and injuring nine elders as well as well known politicians, reports say.

A Press TV reporter from Mogadishu says that unidentified attackers in Sinay District of North Mogadishu, using hand grenades, attacked a tea shop on Friday, killing and injuring 15 town elders and well known politicians including former district chairman Mr. Gabeeyre.

In another development also on the same day, heavy fighting between Somali police and insurgents in South Mogadishu, in Hodon District, claiming the lives of seven soldiers, he added.

Insurgents attacked a police station on Hodon and took away hundreds of guns and other weapons, injuring several people, he said.

Ten policemen were killed during the incident, while police managed to kill 11 insurgents and arrest three others.

In another incident, insurgents attacked Ethiopian military convoys in two Somali towns, prompting soldiers to open fire after both attacks. At least 13 Ethiopian soldiers and 17 civilians were killed, while the insurgents say a regional commander died in the violence.

10/05/08 (B447) REUTERS : des insurgés somaliens, équipés de lance-grenades encerclent rapidement un poste principal de Police à Mogadsicio et détruisent du matériel militaire – Somali insurgents briefly seize police base (Info en Anglais – Lecteur)

By Abdi Sheikh

MOGADISHU, May 9 (Reuters) – Islamist rebels firing rocket-propelled grenades briefly seized a major police base in the heart of Somalia’s capital, residents said on Friday, raising even more doubt over prospects for rare peace talks.

Witnesses said the insurgents took control of the compound late on Thursday and burnt at least one government « technical » — a truck mounted with a heavy gun — before retreating as reinforcements arrived.

« The fighting was hideous, terrifying, » one resident, Hawa Abdi, told independent local broadcaster Shabelle by telephone from Mogadishu’s central Waberi district.

« I thought it would smash the walls of my concrete home. »

Islamist spokesman Abdirahim Issa Adow told Reuters their forces killed eight policemen, while two of their fighters died.

Government officials could not immediately be reached.

The attack in a heavily guarded area that neighbours the city’s air and sea ports followed a flare-up of fighting between the insurgents and allied Somali-Ethiopian troops in which at least 19 people were killed.

The violence cast a pall over tentative, U.N.-brokered peace talks between Somalia’s interim government and opposition exiles that were due to begin on Saturday in Djibouti.

The militants behind near-daily ambushes and roadside bombs are the remnants of an Islamist movement that was ousted by the government and its Ethiopian allies at the start of last year.

The leaders of that group, and other critics of President Abdullahi Yusuf, have since moved to Ethiopia’s arch-foe Eritrea and formed the Alliance for the Re-Liberation of Somalia.

They had repeatedly refused to meet government officials until Ethiopian troops left Somali soil. But last month they dropped that demand and agreed to send delegates to Djibouti.

The U.N. envoy to Somalia, Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, said the meeting would initially be attended by seven delegates from each side. If progress is made, more participants will fly in.

« This is the first time that the Somali parties have agreed to meet with a limited number of delegates, on a scheduled date within a specified time frame and at a planned venue, » he said.

« This is a clear indication that Somalis are willing to respect their commitments when they believe in what they are doing, » he said in a statement. « We should allow them to meet without outside interference and come to an understanding. »

A local human rights group says up to 6,500 civilians were killed by fighting in Mogadishu last year. About 1 million Somalis are refugees in their own country because of violence that residents say has stoked a wave of human rights abuses. (Additional reporting and writing by Daniel Wallis in Nairobi; Editing by Matthew Tostevin) (For full Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: http://africa.reuters.com/)

10/05/08 (B447) Romandie News avec AFP : Somalie: rencontre à huis clos du gouvernement et de l’opposition à Djibouti

NAIROBI – Des représentants du gouvernement somalien et de l’opposition dominée par les islamistes vont entamer samedi à Djibouti une conférence de réconciliation sous l’égide de l’ONU, a annoncé vendredi l’envoyé spécial des Nations unies pour la Somalie, Ahmedou Ould Abdallah.

Sept représentants du gouvernement de transition du Premier ministre Nur Hassan Hussein se retrouveront avec sept membres de l’opposition en exil à Asmara, dominée par les islamistes.

Ces délégations discuteront à huis clos et « sans interférence extérieure », selon M. Ould Abdallah, c’est-à-dire sans la présence de représentants de la communauté internationale, hormis lors de la cérémonie d’ouverture.

M. Ould Abdallah, qui organise cette rencontre, a fait part dans un communiqué de son optimisme et s’est félicité de la volonté des deux parties de se retrouver à une même table.

La durée de la conférence n’a pas été arrêtée mais de source proche de l’organisation, on indiquait vendredi qu’elle n’excèderait pas une semaine.

« Vous faites la paix en premier lieu avec vos ennemis, pas avec vos amis », a rappelé M. Ould Abdallah, allusion à peine voilée à l’échec de deux conférences courant 2007.

La première, qui s’était achevée fin août à Mogadiscio, avait été boycottée par l’opposition qui avait organisé la sienne à Asmara et créé à cette occasion l’Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia (ARS, alliance pour une nouvelle libération de la Somalie), coalition politique visant à chasser les soldats éthiopiens du pays.

L’armée éthiopienne, venue soutenir à sa demande le gouvernement de transition somalien, a mis en déroute fin 2006-début 2007 les militants des tribunaux islamiques qui contrôlaient depuis plusieurs mois le centre et le sud de la Somalie, en guerre civile depuis 1991.

Les espoirs que font naître cette nouvelle « conférence de réconciliation » s’inscrivent dans un contexte de violences meurtrières.

Au moins 35 personnes, dont huit soldats éthiopiens, ont été tuées mercredi dans un regain de violences opposant troupes éthiopiennes et insurgés islamistes.

Les combattants islamistes ont promis de « venger la mort » de leur chef, Moalim Aden Hashi Ayro, tué le 1er mai dans un raid américain.

Le coordinateur humanitaire de l’ONU en Somalie, Graham Farmer, a déclaré qu’au moins 2,5 millions de personnes – incluant un million de déplacés – avaient besoin d’aide, mais que la violence empêchait les humanitaires de faire leur travail.

« Conscients que les besoins d’aide augmentent, nous nous engageons à développer notre aide partout où nous le pouvons. Cependant, il est extrêmement malheureux qu’en cette période de besoin extrême, la situation sécuritaire se détériore et menace nos capacités de réponse sur le terrain », a déclaré M. Fermier, dans un courrier aux autorités somaliennes.

« Nous avons besoin d’une meilleure sécurité pour apporter aux populations vulnérables l’aide dont elles ont besoin », a-t-il insisté, en demandant instamment aux notables et à toutes les parties au conflit de faciliter l’aide humanitaire.

Les radicaux du clan Hawiye, dominant en Somalie, et l’opposition islamiste avaient refusé de participer aux tentatives de réconciliation précédentes, en faisant valoir que les pourparlers devraient se tenir à l’extérieur de la Somalie et seulement après un retrait de l’armée éthiopienne.

09/05/08 (B447) Avis de recherche – Où est Hassan Saïd – Il serait parti pour l’étranger ? Si un lecteur peut nous donner des informations sur sa destination, elles pourraient certainement être très utiles, puisqu’il est sous le coup d’un mandat d’arrêt international … (ARDHD)

Nous remercions tous les internautes qui pourraient nous donner des informations sur le déplacement d’Hassan Saïd à l’étranger, qui nous a été signalé par des correspondants.

Vous pouvez nous envoyer un e-mail de façon tout à fait confidentielle à :
equipe@arhd.org

Bien entendu, l’ARDHD garantit, comme l’a toujours fait dans le passé, le secret de ses sources.