08/03/09 (B489) A la demande de plusieurs organisations internationales de défense des Droits de l’Homme, une réunion s’est tenue à Genève (Suisse) avec les représentants de la Cour criminelle international. Des poursuites pénales pourraient être diligentées contre les responsables de crimes en Somalie… Une première avancée, mais le chemin sera long ! (Shabelle – En Anglais)

International summit on Somali war crimes held in Geneva

The Human Rights Organizations and the International Criminal Court (ICC) have held a meeting on Somali war crimes in Geneva, the capital city of Switzerland, officials told Shabelle on Sunday.

Ahmed Mohamed Ali known as (Kiimiko), one of the Somali Human Rights who attended the meeting said that the Human Rights Organizations and ICC heads are talking more about the conflicts and war crimes in Somalia and how the ICC would put on trial to the people committed war crimes in Somalia.

Somalia is not member of the countries signed the law of the International Criminal Court for punishing those who commit war crimes in their countries.

Mr. Kiimiko said that the members who attended the meeting welcomed greatly a letter from the UN especial representative for Somalia Mr. Ahmed Olad Abdallah which was stating to bring justice to those who were the mastermind of the war crimes in Somalia.

The meeting held in Geneva the capital city of Switzerland on the war crimes of Somalia comes as most of the International Human Rights Organizations mentioned earlier that there will be a time to punish those who behind war crimes in Somalia.

08/03/09 (B489) Ethiopie : les accrochages violents se multiplient en Ogaden entre milices de l’ONLF et soldats éthiopiens. (2 articles en Anglais)

_________________________ 2 – Shabelle (En Anglais)


De violents combats entre les membres de l’ONLF et les soldats éthiopiens ont causé la mort de 25 personnes. 15 autres sont blessées. // Fighting kills more people in Ethiopia

Heavy fighting between rebels and Ethiopian soldiers killed 25 people and injured 15 others Saturday in Mustahil town in eastern Ethiopia, Shabelle’s Omar Kiyow reported from Baladweyn town near the border.

Our reporter, citing residents said the fighting started after anti- Ethiopian Somali rebels attacked a convoy of Ethiopian troops who were traveling from Wardher town to the border between Somalia and Ethiopia.

Independent sources from the region say sporadic fighting is continuing in the region and a lot of people who fled from the fighting areas reached in central Somali towns.

No group has claimed the responsibility of the fighting yet.

ONLF, which is fighting for the independence of ethnic Somalis in Ethiopia’s oil-rich Ogaden region, claimed yesterday they killed about 24 Ethiopian troops.

They say the local people have been marginalized by Addis Ababa

In June, New York-based Human Rights Watch accused the Ethiopian government of burning villages, executing civilians and raping women in an effort to quell the ONLF’s insurgency. Ethiopia denied the allegations.

By Ahmednor Mohamed Farah

_________________________ 1 – Shabelle (En Anglais)

Depuis le Qatar où il réside, le porte-parole de l’OLNF (résistance de l’Ogaden) crie victoire après des combats contre l’Armée éthiopienne dans la ville de Mustahil. // ONLF claims victory over fighting in Ethiopia (Info lecteur)

Hussein Nor, a head of the information affairs of ONLF rebels has claimed victory on Sunday in the fighting between ONLF rebels and Ethiopian troops in Mustahil town in the regional administration of Somalia in Ethiopia.

The spokesman who in Qatar told Shabelle radio that they had killed in the fighting 20-30 Ethiopian soldiers and burnt many trucks from the Ethiopian soldiers saying that there were some casualties their side including civilians but said that he could not confirm the real number.

Mr. Hussein Nor said that the Ethiopian soldiers from Somalia who were in the border between Somalia and Ethiopia attacked their forces saying that they resisted and inflicted more casualties adding that they were ready for any attack from the Ethiopian soldiers.

There are tense situations in the area of the fighting and no comment came out from Ethiopia yet.

The victory claiming of head of the information of ONLF rebels Mr. Hussein Nor comes as there has been bitter fighting between ONLF rebels and the Ethiopian troops in the recent days in the regional state of Somalia in Ethiopia that caused number casualties of deaths, wounds and lost properties.

06/03/09 (B488) Shabelle. Environ 20 personnes meurent au cours de violents combats qui ont opposés l’ONLF à des éléments de l’Armée éthiopienne, dans la région somalienne administrée par l’Ethiopie. Fighting kills 20 in the regional administration of Somalia in Ethiopia.

At least 20 soldiers have been killed and many others wounded after heavy fighting between Ethiopian soldiers and ONLF rebels started in Dhagah-buur region in the regional administration of Somalia in Ethiopia, official said on Friday.

Hussein Nor, head of the information affairs of ONLF rebels who is Qatar told Shabelle radio that the fighting started 4th February in Dhagax-buur region and still continuing in the regional administration of Somalia in Ethiopia and claimed that they killed 20 Ethiopian soldiers in the fighting adding they captured the station of Ethiopian troops in the region.

Asked about the casualties of their side, he said that there were some casualties but not more and asserted that they will continue the fighting until they liberate the Ethiopian troops from the regional state of Somalia in Ethiopia.

Reports from Dhagah-buur region say that the fighting is still continuing and the rival forces are using heavy weapons which could be heard all directions in the region.

In over the past weeks there has been fighting between ONLF rebels and Ethiopian troops that killed number of soldiers from both rival forces in the regional administration of Somalia and Ethiopia.

19/02/09 (B486) Nouvelles de Somalie … (2 articles en Anglais)

_____________________________ 2 – Shabelle (En Anglais)

L’Egypte invite le nouveau Président somalien. // Egypt invites new president

Egypt has sent an official invitation Wednesday to the new Somali President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed to visit Cairo for talks on bilateral relations.

Munah Omar, the assistant secretary of foreign ministry for African affairs told reporters in Cairo that Egypt invited president Sheik Sharif to discuss the security situation of Somalia and expressed hope that the president would accept the invitation.

Munah said Somalia was very important government to Egypt and expressed hope that the new president would bring peace and order to Somalia where fighting has been going on for the last 18 years.

Islamist insurgents vowed fighting against the new president, but Egypt suggested the opposition groups to join the government and be part of unity government to work for the interest of the Somali people.

Somali parliament elected Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed as president in neighboring Djibouti last month.

_____________________________ 1 – Shabelle (En Anglais)

Deux jeunes tués par l’explosion d’un engin qu’ils manipulaient. // Explosion kills two in Mogadishu

Two teenagers have died and two others injured Wednesday after anti aircraft bullet exploded to them in Gubta neighborhoud in Mogadishu, witnesses told radio Shabelle.

Witnesses said the teenagers were playing with the bullet when it exploded. At first, one person died, but moments later the other one succumbed to his wounds from the bullet.

Mogadishu, the capital city of Somalia, has been a battle ground since 1991 when warlords overthrew late president Mohamed Siad Barre.

Experts warned residents of Mogadishu against landmines and explosives, after the withdrawal of Ethiopian troops.

19/02/09 (B486) Shabelle / M. OULD l’envoyé spécial de l’ONU pour la Somalie s’étonne que les criminels de guerre ne soient pas poursuivis devant une cour pénale internationale spécifique. Envoy calls for ICC probe on Somalia (En Anglais)

UN special representative for Somalia wonders why the Somali conflict was not being treated like other conflicts such as Congo, where suspects have been sent to the Hague for trial.

There is a need to set up an international commission to address killings carried out by Somalis against their fellow countrymen, says a UN special representative for Somalia.

Such an initiative, says Mr Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, would overcome the conspiracy of silence currently evident over a country that has known no peace for close to two decades.

“The Security Council needs to adopt a resolution allowing the International Criminal Court (ICC) to handle impunity or war crimes committed by Somalis against Somalis. The conspiracy of silence over Somalia must end, you cannot just main, kill and torture and get away with it.’’

Speaking at his office in Nairobi, Mr Abdallah wondered why the Somali conflict was not being treated like other conflicts such as Congo, where suspects have been sent to the Hague for trial.

He said the international community ‘‘is treating the Somali conflict as if it is tired of it’’.

“Somalia is defying logic and the international community is defying the conflict and conducting studies instead of looking for a solution,’’ he added.

Mr Abdallah, who is the UN’s top diplomat on Somalia, wondered why a country that has been in conflict for 18 years was still considered as a humanitarian crisis. He said Somalia’s problems were political and the country was a major threat to its neighbours in terms of refugees, denied trade opportunities and a security problem as seen in the cases of piracy along its coast.

He said: ‘‘Piracy is not just affecting ships, it also increases prices (of commodities) and is also a potential environmental hazard if any of the ships such as the Saudi tanker,’’ was to be blown up by the pirates.(Daily Nation)

17/02/09 (B486) Shabelle avec ANI : des terroristes qui ont été entraïnés dans des camps en Somalie, seraient en train de retourner en Angleterre. // Islamic extremists trained in Somalia re-entering UK (En Anglais – Info lecteur)

Islamic extremists who have attended terror training camps in Somalia are returning to Britain, leaving the country’s security and intelligence services quite worried over the possibility of them launching attacks.

The head of MI5, Jonathan Evans, and the outgoing head of the CIA, Michael Hayden, are on record as saying that the threat is grave, especially in the wake of Ethiopia’s invasion of Somalia in late 2006, which "catalyzed" expatriate Somalis around the world.

In investigation for Channel 4 News, to be broadcast tonight, reveals that a suicide bomber who grew up in Ealing is thought to have blown himself up in an attack in Somalia that killed more than 20 soldiers.

The incident is the first reported case involving a Somali based in Britain and will add to pressure on Scotland Yard and the Home Office to tackle the problem within the Somali community, which, at about 250,000 people, is the biggest in Europe.

The Times quotes Peter Neumann, a terrorism expert who runs the Centre for the Study of Radicalisation at King’s College London, as telling Channel 4 News: "The numbers I hear [going from Britain to Somalia] are 50, 60 or 70, but in reality we don’t know. You don’t need big numbers for terrorism. Somalia will never become another Pakistan, but that does not mean it is not a threat."

Most Somalis in Britain entered the country as asylum-seekers within the past 20 years. They include Yasin Omar and Ramzi Mohammed, two of the four men convicted of the botched bombing of the London Underground on July 21, 2005.

Some Somali leaders say their community – already associated with gang and knife crime – is being unfairly targeted.

15/02/09 (B486) Shabelle. Selon des témoignages de la population et de notables, les militaires Ethiopiens sont re-rentrés en Somalie dans la ville de Mustahil (après leur départ). Ils auraient “confisqué”, à leur profit, de nombreux camions et moyens de transport. Le Gouvernement éthiopien dément. // Ethiopian troops hijack more vehicles in Mustahil town (En Anglais – Info lecteur)

The Ethiopian soldiers have hijacked more Somali Lorries in Mustahil town in the regional state of Somalia in Ethiopia, witnesses told Shabelle radio on Sunday.

Ethiopia pulled out its troops from Somalia last month as a part of an agreement between the Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia and the transitional government. But residents and clan elders said that the Ethiopian troops have re-entered Somalia, which Ethiopia denied strongly.

Reports from the region say that the Ethiopian troops have hijacked several trucks those most of them were lorries from Baladweyn town in central Somalia and carrying different goods including fuel, vegetables, and more other goods to Wardheer province in the regional state of Somalia in Ethiopia.

The Ethiopian troops have been pouring in the border between Somalia and Ethiopia over the past weeks and increasing hijacking the civilian trucks those carry goods and travel on the roads that connect between Somalia and Ethiopia.

Sources say that the Ethiopian troops use the trucks as military vehicles deploying troops and taking military supply during consecutive operations they conduct in over there and it is unclear why the Ethiopians hijack the Somali trucks yet.

13/02/09 (B485-B) Shabelle avec AP – Le chef religieux d’une mosquée de Minneapolis dément qu’il y ait des liens entre sa congrégation et la disparition de jeunes gens d’origine somalienne, qui étaient établis aux US. // US mosque denies link to missing Somali men (En Anglais)

The leaders of a mosque in Minneapolis on Tuesday denied that the mosque is connected to the disappearance of young Somali men from Minnesota.

Some Somali families have said they’re concerned their teenage sons or nephews may have been brainwashed to return to Somalia to fight in that country’s civil war. But the leaders of the Abubakar As-Saddique mosque said they have been unfairly accused of playing a role.

Abdirashid Abdi, a board member and former executive director of the mosque, said officials there "share the pain and grief that the families of the youth who went to Somalia are experiencing."

But he added: "It is unfortunate that some individuals in the Somali community unfairly accused Abubakar Center to have links to the disappearance of the Somali young men. We strongly deny these unsubstantiated allegations. Abubakar Center didn’t recruit, finance or otherwise facilitate in any way, shape or form the travel of these youth."

The trigger for Tuesday’s news conference was a report in Sunday’s Star Tribune on the disappearance six months ago of Mustafa Ali, an 18-year-old man from St. Paul who had been active in the mosque.

Minneapolis is home to one of the largest Somali communities in the U.S. A man who disappeared from Minneapolis is believed to have killed himself in a suicide bombing in northern Somalia last October.

FBI spokesman E.K. Wilson has said the agency is aware of people from throughout the U.S. and Minneapolis traveling to Somali to "potentially fight for terrorist groups." But Wilson would neither confirm nor deny that the FBI and the Justice Department were investigating.