Articles

28/08/07 (B410) BBC : Cinq morts en Somalie cette nuit au cours d’un accrochage entre les forces de sécurité et des insurgés pro-islamistes. Gun battles rock Somali capital (En Anglais – Info lectrice)

Five people have been killed in overnight clashes between security forces and pro-Islamist insurgents in the Somali capital, Mogadishu.

The BBC’s Mohammed Olad Hassan in Mogadishu says two civilians were killed and six wounded during a gun battle in the northeast of the capital.

The police said three insurgents were killed and two held after an attack on a police station in southern Mogadishu.

Ongoing peace talks have failed to quell continuing violence in the city.

A series of explosions and gun battles have rocked Mogadishu in the last three days, after Islamist militias vowed to step up their insurgency against Ethiopian troops and the transitional government.

The leader of the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC) supreme council Sheikh Hassan Dahir Away said his men were ready to continue fighting "a battle for independence", during an interview with Mogadishu-based Radio Horn Afrik.

Our correspondent says insurgents launched attacks on government bases in the northeast neighbourhood of Huriwaa, which resulted in an hour-long gun battle as government forces fought back using heavy machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

Following the fierce fighting, hundreds of civilians have begun fleeing from Huriwaa, which our correspondent says is an Islamist stronghold.

"We have been here for a long time and thought things would calm down once, but now we have decided to leave. You know the Islamists vowed last week to redouble their attacks and we are the victims," resident Mrs Asho Abdinor told the BBC.

On Sunday, a roadside bomb killed two children and an elderly man and wounded five people.

Peace fears

The latest fighting has sparked fears of renewed fighting in the country, despite ongoing national reconciliation talks which began on 15 July.

Delegates attending the talks have also been the target of insurgent attacks, and so far one delegate has been killed and three others injured in separate incidents.

The chairman of the talks organising committee, Ali Mahdi Mohammed, says the escalating violence will not derail the talks, which have been boycotted by Islamists and the dominant Hawiye clan.

The Islamists and other insurgents strongly oppose the presence of Ethiopian troops in Somalia who are backing the country’s interim government.

Last December, the allies ousted the UIC, an Islamist group that had taken control of much of southern Somalia.

28/08/07 (B410) BBC : Six diplomates norvégiens sur neuf en poste doivent quitter l’Ethiopie. L’Ethiopie leur reproche des contacts avec l’Erythrée et une implication politique trop prononcée. Norwegian envoys to leave Ethiopia (En Anglais – Info lectrice)

Six Norwegian diplomats will have to leave Ethiopia because of interference in the country’s internal affairs, a foreign ministry spokesman has said.

Spokesman Wahide Belay said that only an ambassador and two others can remain after 15 September.

Ethiopia is insisting it has not severed diplomatic relations with Norway but is unhappy with its dealings with Eritrea in particular.

Norway says it regrets Ethiopia’s unwillingness to discuss the issue.

The BBC’s Elizabeth Blunt in Addis Ababa says the row has been caused by Norway’s support for the next round of border talks with Eritrea to be held at UN headquarters in New York, an idea rapidly vetoed by Ethiopia.

Ethiopia and Eritrea fought a bitter territorial war and there are fears that they are headed for a fresh conflict.

"They claim we are undermining the national security by our involvement in the peace and reconciliation in the Horn of Africa," Norway’s deputy foreign minister Raymond Johansen told the BBC’s Network Africa programme.

Mr Wahide said Norway had been warned on several occasions.

But Mr Johansen says they had never taken unilateral decisions over the Eritrea- Ethiopia border conflict.

"We have no interest of our own in the conflict and have maintained an open and frank contact with all the parties involved," Mr Johansen said.

Mr Wahide said that his government had not wanted to take this action and would be willing to reconsider if Norway was prepared to "rectify its mistakes and be more helpful in the region".

But he said Norway had been pampering "spoiler forces" in the region – naming Islamist rebels in Somalia and insurgent groups active in Ethiopia as well as Eritrea.

The Norwegian embassy in Addis Ababa normally has a staff of nine diplomats.

28/08/07 (B410) LA TRIBUNE avec AP : Affaire Borrel: deux hauts responsables djiboutiens renvoyés devant le tribunal correctionnel de Versailles

Deux responsables djiboutiens sont renvoyés devant la justice française dans le cadre de l’enquête pour "subornation de témoin" ouverte en marge de celle sur la mort du juge Borrel en octobre 1995 à Djibouti, a-t-on appris mardi de sources judiciaires.

Le procureur général de Djibouti Djama Souleiman et le chef des services secrets Hassan Saïd Khaireh sont renvoyés pour "subornation de témoin" devant le tribunal correctionnel de Versailles par une ordonnance en date du 20 août, a précisé à l’Associated Press le procureur de Versailles Michel Desplan.

Bernard Borrel, magistrat français détaché à Djibouti, a été retrouvé mort et brûlé le 19 octobre 1995. Sa veuve, Elisabeth Borrel, soutient que son mari a été assassiné et accuse le président Ismaël Omar Guelleh d’être le commanditaire du crime. Une version contestée par Djibouti.

Le dossier instruit à Versailles concerne une tentative de subornation d’un témoin, Mohamed Saleh Alhoumekani. Celui-ci dit avoir assisté, dans la nuit du 19 au 20 octobre 1995, dans les jardins du palais présidentiel, à une conversation sur l’élimination du "juge fouineur" entre plusieurs officiels, dont Ismaël Omar Guelleh, l’actuel chef d’Etat, Awalleh Guelleh et Hamouda Adouani, deux terroristes supposés être en prison.

MM. Souleiman et Saïd sont soupçonnés d’avoir fait pression pour que M. Alhoumekani revienne sur ses déclarations. Il avait par ailleurs indiqué la présence cette nuit-là d’un restaurateur dont l’établissement a été en 1987 la cible d’un attentat perpétré par Hamouda Hassan Adouani.

Convoqués en octobre 2005, les deux hommes avaient refusé de venir s’exprimer devant le juge d’instruction saisi de ce dossier.